Re: [TenTec] TenTec 1254 ---THANKS

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] TenTec 1254 ---THANKS
From: Bwana Bob <wb2vuf@verizon.net>
Date: Sat, 25 Dec 2010 11:00:26 -0500
Alan:

Merry Christmas!

Thank you for the links. I was aware of the mods on Marshall Emm's
(mtechnologies) web site, but the replacement processor  mod is really
exciting. It would bring the receiver capabilities up an order of
magnitude!  Has anyone purchased this mod kit?

A couple more thoughts on the 1254 vs some of the shortwave portables.
The typical portable includes the FM broadcast band,  and a built-in
ferrite antenna for the AM broadcast  band, which may be important to
you. Also, they have a built in-whip antenna. The Ten-Tec is designed to
use an external antenna.   However, AM/FM portable radios (some with
hand cranked power) are readily available.  The Grundig/Eton receivers
seem to get mixed reviews. Some have tuning quirks or need their
alignment tweaked. The best of the shortwave portables seems to be the
Sony 7600 series.  If you are looking for a "communications" receiver,
then the Ten-Tec stacks up well.  Unlike the portables, it does not
overload when connected to an outside antenna. I typically run mine on
an 80 meter dipole or a full size 40 meter loop.  As discussed, there is
enough room inside for mods, including filters, a muting circuit, etc.
Plus, it's fun to build. (I grew up in the heyday of Heathkit).

                         73,

                         Bob WB2VUF