[TenTec] New and Improved Terminology

To: geraldj@weather.net, Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] New and Improved Terminology
From: Ken Brown <ken.d.brown@hawaiiantel.net>
Date: Thu, 30 Dec 2010 17:25:57 -1000
> We used low antennas out of necessity long before the military called
> them NVIS and on 80 and 40 worked the surrounding states very well for
> ragchews, nets, and FD.

When I was a Novice, my mentors called it "short haul skip." One of
those was a former Air Force radio man, and if NVIS had been a common
term used by the Air Force, I probably would have heard it from him. I
did not hear that term until perhaps the 80s. Maybe it did come from the
military. I'm curious about it's origin. Maybe the Army or Navy used it,
but I'm pretty sure the Air Force did not use that term back in the 60s
or 70s.

DE N6KB