Re: [TenTec] New and Improved Terminology

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] New and Improved Terminology
From: "Dr. Gerald N. Johnson" <geraldj@weather.net>
Date: Fri, 31 Dec 2010 09:52:58 -0600
In the book Antenna Topics taken from Pat Hawker's Technical Topics in
Radcom from 1958 to 1999 mentions NVIS the first time in June 1988 in a
column titled "Antennas for Medium-haul Paths." He says,
 > A term now being applied in professional communications is "nvis
 > links", standing for "near-vertical incidence skywave links". A
 > conference paper by B S Collins & B R Phillips of C & S Antennas
 > Ltd gives the options for nvis as: compact loop antennas; horizontal
 > low dipoles; fan dipoles; loaded dipoles; delta (half-rhombic) loops.
 > The "most satisfactory' nvis antenna for fixed stations is given as
 > the (sloping) log-periodic dipole array (lpda) but this is regarded
 > as "too large and complex for transportable use."

Best I can tell from his index, the most recent previous discussion of
the medium haul range antenna was in 1975 but was discussed several
times earlier, just the term nvis wasn't used.

One of those Collins & Phillips papers was:
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/brian.collins/Bibliography/Paper-28.pdf
Apparantly Nordic HF conference 89, ISBN says '91.

https://www.txarmymars.org/downloads/NVIS-Theory-and-Practice.pdf
and web pages say the German military used NVIS in WW2. Heck, Marconi
used low horizontal antennas before 1900.

Back to Collins and Phillips, one paper was "A wideband transportable
antenna for NVIS Links," presented at the Fourth International
Conference on HF Radio Systems and Techniques, 1988." Published by IEEE.
The only one Collins admits was with Phillips. Probably the paper Pat
Hawker saw.

Then I found a Brian Collins Bibliography. In:
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/brian.collins/Bibliography/Paper-09.pdf
a paper from 1980 he talks about antennas for short ionospheric paths
but doesn't say "nvis."

The bibliography is:
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/brian.collins/Bibliography/Bibliography.htm
Unfortunately several of the papers aren't available for down load there.

So its clear nvis was invented as the descriptive term between 1980 and
1988. I don't know who claimed it. Pat Hawker read much radio
literature, if he didn't see it before the 1988 paper, it might not have
been used before. Its only available from IEEE. I don't know if the ISU
library has it, can't go there this week anyway.

73, Jerry, K0CQ