Re: [TenTec] New and Improved Terminology (NVIS origins)

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] New and Improved Terminology (NVIS origins)
From: Steve Hunt <steve@karinya.net>
Date: Thu, 06 Jan 2011 22:34:17 +0000
Stuart,

That seems a very "generous" interpretation of what Gordo is quoted as
saying:

"What strongly affects the shape of the far-field low angle
which we want? the low angle elevation pattern of a vertically
polarized antenna ? Well, that would be the conductivity
and dielectric constant of the soil in the area just below the
antenna."

Notice the word "shape" - no mention of signal power - and the phrase
"just below the antenna".

Rudy Severns said:

"Any practical ground system will not affect the radiation angle or
far-field pattern!"

and:

"The ground system around the antenna does nothing for the far-field
pattern except to increase the power radiated for a given input power."

I reckon only a lawyer could make Gordo's quote and Severn's quote mean
the same thing ;)

73,
Steve G3TXQ