Re: [TenTec] New and Improved Terminology (NVIS origins)

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] New and Improved Terminology (NVIS origins)
From: Steve Hunt <steve@karinya.net>
Date: Thu, 06 Jan 2011 22:34:17 +0000

That seems a very "generous" interpretation of what Gordo is quoted as

"What strongly affects the shape of the far-field low angle
which we want? the low angle elevation pattern of a vertically
polarized antenna ? Well, that would be the conductivity
and dielectric constant of the soil in the area just below the

Notice the word "shape" - no mention of signal power - and the phrase
"just below the antenna".

Rudy Severns said:

"Any practical ground system will not affect the radiation angle or
far-field pattern!"

"The ground system around the antenna does nothing for the far-field
pattern except to increase the power radiated for a given input power."

I reckon only a lawyer could make Gordo's quote and Severn's quote mean
the same thing ;)

Steve G3TXQ

On 06/01/2011 21:46, Stuart Rohre wrote:
> I think you could read Gordo's comments as intending to say there is
> more efficiency, and hence more signal power radiated at the optimum
> (low angle for a vertical), if you have a good near field ground.
TenTec mailing list