Re: [TenTec] New and Improved Terminology (NVIS origins)

To: <k1vt@arrl.net>, "'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment'" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] New and Improved Terminology (NVIS origins)
From: "Rick - NJ0IP / DJ0IP" <Rick@DJ0IP.de>
Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2011 16:08:36 -0500
Jack,

My feedpoint was at about 35' (the base of the pole was elevated about 5').
I had a fairly large yard and the antenna was about 50 or 60 ft. from the
house.
What I did was hook a small Kevlar rope to the feedline about 30' from the
antenna and string it to the rain gutter at the farthest point on the house,
which was about 8' high.

At the point where the rope attached, the feedline bent slightly and dropped
slowly down to another part of the where the shack is.
I then ran it in through the door, fastened it, and closed the door on it.
Viola.

Too bad we can't do pictures here.
I'll send a picture to you directly.
I apologize in advance, it's a large file.

A friend of mine in Sweden manufactures commercial versions of the VD, fed
with coax.
His design runs the feedline down one of the 3 guy ropes, at a 45 degree
angle.
He claims that as long as you keep a 45 degree angle or more away from the
lower part of the mast, the influence won't be too bad.
I do not know if that is true or not.
All I know is that the antennas work very well.

In fact another OM I know, we should all know, because he is the Ten-Tec
distributor for Germany, bought a new house 5 years ago.
When he moved, he didn't have time to put up his tower and beam so he put up
this vertical dipole (made in Sweden).
Last I spoke with him, he was still working with the vertical dipole.
Claimed it worked so good, he didn't see a pressing need to put his beam up.
I have to say, he is a big contester, but not from home.
He is one of the ops at K3LR, and he was one of the organizers of VP6DX
(Ducie), which also used all vertical antennas.
If he were going to contest from home, the beam would go back up in a
heartbeat.

73
Rick