Re: [TenTec] TT Eagle tuner spec: SWR v. impedance range?

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] TT Eagle tuner spec: SWR v. impedance range?
From: "Dr. Gerald N. Johnson" <geraldj@weather.net>
Date: Sat, 08 Jan 2011 15:27:38 -0600
We wish that to mean that the tuner will match at 10:1 SWR circle at all
phase angles and frequencies and greater mismatches for some phase
angles. Any given tuner has better chances of making good matches for
wild loads on bands other than 160 and 10m. On 160 certain loads require
more L and C than can fit in the box, and on 10m certain loads require
less L and C than those large components needed for 160m can be reduced
to. Low impedance loads are toughest on 160m and high impedance are
toughest on 10m. One sort of happy solution is to change the feed line
length in 1/8th wave increments to see if the load can be moved to a
handier impedance. Another is to use fixed L or C in shunt or series to
expand the range of the tuner and another is to use a ferrite cored
conventional transformer to raise or lower the impedance on some bands.
Sometimes some manual reconnection is handier than finding a more
compact tuner with a wider load impedance range for 160m.

73, Jerry, K0CQ