Re: [TenTec] ballun suggestions

To: "'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment'" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] ballun suggestions
From: "Rick - NJ0IP / DJ0IP" <Rick@DJ0IP.de>
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2011 20:16:47 -0500
Before you tear it all apart, try this:
Insert an RF choke in the coax line between the 238B and the Jupiter.

I have run that same design with 1000w and not had the problem.
I always put the choke between the transceiver and the amp, and another
choke between the amp and the matchbox.

Make sure your station is grounded properly.

I also use an external balun.  I don't use the built-in balun.
I use a very simple coax balun (24' for RG213 wrapped on a 4" PVC pipe, with
a 10" stub into the 238B).
I work all bands with this.

I am not speaking of once and getting lucky.
I have done this at several different QTHs with combinations of a couple of
different amps and about 6 or 7 different Ten-Tec transceivers including the
Jupiter.  Most recently with the Eagle.

I sometimes had trouble as you are having, but a proper ground AND these RF
chockes did the trick.

73
Rick