Well, my Orion is still acting flaky. Having worked on it and thought
about it, I think it's related to the widely-reported RIT issue. My RIT
has never worked and I never used it until the last week. So, I pushed
gently on the front panel to get it to work a few days ago and then my
bigger problem with the receiver stopping started a day or two later.
After I thought it was working okay from snugging the screws, I noticed
I could induce it to freeze by pushing on the front panel over on the
left side or lightly tapping on the plastic there. So, in general,
flexing of the front panel and related boards is the issue so I started
suspecting the connectors between the boards much like the RIT deal.
I took the top board off last night and gave the connectors a treatment
of Deoxit D100 (needle applicator) and put everything back together.
Now, it's worse. But I think that may just mean that I'm hitting on the
real issue now. I can get the receiver to work by gently flexing the
boards which is probably related to the connectors between those
boards. So, later today, I'll probably take the top board off again and
look closer at those connectors.
TenTec mailing list