[TenTec] New Eagle - but odd sounding audio nosie

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] New Eagle - but odd sounding audio nosie
From: Thomas <ac7a@cox.net>
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2011 10:24:44 -0500
Hi,

Well I took the plunge and bought a new Eagle. Wow, what a nice package and
thoughtful ergonomics. However, I am concerned about something I am hearing.

Right from the moment I turned it on the audio sounded raspy to me. I adjusted
the pass band tuning and filter bandwidth but I can't say that helped improve
it. The more I listened to signals, primarily CW, the more I became concerned
that something isn't right. I hear a raspiness that accompanies the signal I am
listening to. It is a hiss-like noise that keys with the CW tone of the station
I am copying. Last night I tried to pass it off due to inexperience with the
radio's settings.

This morning there was a huge pile-up on 40m CW calling a DX station (maybe
VP8) and the raspiness was readily evident. The pre-amp was off and I tried
adjusting the bandwidth and pass band controls to clean the signals up. The
pile-up sounded like a confused, jumbled up mess full of the raspy noise I
described. The DX station sounded clean and distinct but the pile-up sounded
terrible. My K2 sitting side-by-side with the Eagle sounded clean and crisp
handling the pile-up.

I reviewed the factory check-off list that accompanied the radio and the
technician certified all the tests. This is my first IF DSP radio and don't
know if this is how they typically sound. It is radically different than the
analog radios that I am used to. Any thoughts on what is going on is
appreciated?

Thanks, Thomas