[TenTec] Questions Concerning Eagle

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Questions Concerning Eagle
From: Dave Humbertson <w3np@atlanticbb.net>
Date: Fri, 04 Feb 2011 19:04:44 -0500
  I am still considering purchasing an Eagle. I currently use an Omni 6+
and an Omni 7 as my main rigs. I have been doing more qrp work lately
and the Omni 6+ has been the rig of choice since the O7 will not go
below ~5 watts.  I have older TT gear as well, but don't use it on a
regular basis.  The Eagle would probably be used mostly at 5 watts or less.
I also have the Model 516 Argonaut V, which I like, but I find the
receiver lacking in some situations.
I am not a contester, but spend a lot of time operating in the SKCC
events and much of it qrp.

I recently had a chance to play with a K3 that a local ham friend owns
and there were a lot of things I liked about it.  Of course a K3-10 with
a 400hz filter would be quite a bit less money.

My questions are these:

1. The latest firmware allows operations down to little or no power out
- correct?  I notice TT has not updated the TX specs to that end.  Is it
truly a 0 -100 watt rig? What does the power show on the front panel
when the power is reduced to say, 500 mw.

2. Since I use headphones about 90% of the time, has the hum issue that
I read about in the past been resolved?

3. Concerning the fan ( I hate fans), is it true that it cycles on and
off, even at very lower TX power levels?  I recently purchased the 940
speaker/switching PS combo, and I was surprised to hear the fan turn on
and off even when operating at 5 watts. I wrongly assumed that the fan
would probably only operate during extended full power high duty cycle
modes.  I find myself somewhat anticipating and dreading (maybe to
strong a word) the next "on" cycle. It is not really loud with phones on
but I find it annoying. I think if it ran all of the time, I would maybe
get used to it.
Is the fan in the Eagle similar in sound level to the 940? I know the
Eagle has various speeds depending on heat-sink temperature and I think
my 940 only has 1 speed.

I know that these issues have been discussed in the past, but I never
really did get a clear understanding of answers.

Thanks for any input

73, Dave - W3NP