[TenTec] audio on Omni-VI+

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] audio on Omni-VI+
From: Don Rasmussen <wb8yqj@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 6 Feb 2011 09:41:07 -0800 (PST)
Dale,

The OMNI 6+ will never have the audiophile range of fidelity that EAGLE, Orion,
or OMNI 7 has - I think that's what Barry N1EU is indicating.

If you already did the Inrad mod (solder a couple parts on the OMNI) AND you
have the Inrad 2.8 filters (there are two of them), here is something to try.

I found a mod on Barry's website that takes OMNI 6+ out of that audio
restricted category you are referring to, which is prominant even with the
Inrad 2.8 filters and the Inrad mod combined.

I have a pigtail coming out of the back of the OMNI with a sub-mini female
connection. I plug the amplified speakers from my computer (has subwoofer) into
this jack when I want to hear the expanded audio. For CW it is a non issue, the
CW is best coming out of the normal AF chain. The AGC and selectivity of the
OMNI 6+ is the best I have used, just at times want a little better audio
quality.

The OMNI 6+ DSP comes further down in the chain than the audio take off, that
is the reason for the improvement, you are taking the DSP out of the line and
that has some hi-lo end rolloff.

The DSP also performs the auto notch and FM functions so you dont have that
when using the audio out mod. If you have a volume control on your amplified
speakers you can turn that down and turn up the AF gain on the OMNI to activate
the notch, do FM, etc.

=======
Omni VI
=======

The stock Omni VI(+) suffers from a very constricted passband in ssb.  ARRL
measured about 1600hz in their review.  After experimenting a bit, I found a
way to completely open the passband up to the full width of the xtal filters.
For those seeking hi-fi ssb rx audio from the Omni VI, and who are willing  o
amplify the audio externally, a night and day improvement can be had from
tapping the product detector audio off U3-6 on the if/af board through a 1uF
capacitor tack soldered to the pin, and a shielded cable brought out for
amplification.  It is a requirement that you then adjust C10/C12 on the TX
Audio board to optimize the receive passband.

The Inrad 2.8Khz filters are really a necessity to complete the "mod" for the
Omni VI.  It goes without saying that the notch filter, dsp, sidetone, fm, etc.
are bypassed with this audio output.

Good Luck and happy listening!

PS - (You dont want a 6 khz filter from Inrad)

73,
Don

[TenTec] audio on Omni-VI+
from [yash] [Permanent Link][Original]