Re: [TenTec] CorsairII notch potentiometer

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] CorsairII notch potentiometer
From: Steve Hunt <steve@karinya.net>
Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2011 17:26:58 +0000
Jerry,

I did get a quote from Omeg. Their part with the closest match would
have been 220k with a reverse log taper, the correct size spindle bush,
a genuine 1/4" spindle (not 6mm) and the correct length.

They quoted £5.25 + 20% VAT each. Minimum order quantity of 10, then
postage of £6.00 + 20% VAT.

That would total over £70, and the pin spacing and length would still be
wrong! So I'm sticking with the new linear pot I put in this morning.

I doubt the Omeg part would have had quite the same taper as the
original, anyway. Their normal log taper appears to be the simple
"Commercial" taper comprising two linear sections of different gradient
with a single break point; I guess their reverse log would be the same.

Just when I thought the projects had stopped, my cousin asked me to look
over a Hallicrafters SX28 which he just bought on eBay. It's no hardship
- those glowing dials, the smell, and the sound of that push-pull 6V6
output stage are just magic :)

73,
Steve G3TXQ