[TenTec] Titan/Alpha and Centurion amplifiers

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Titan/Alpha and Centurion amplifiers
From: "k0bx@arrl.net" <k0bx@arrl.net>
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2011 06:30:53 -0800 (PST)
At home I have a Centurion 422 Amp built in 1995.  I bought it two years ago
for
$1300.  I drive it with a PRO3, and during last weekend contest ran about 750
watts output.  The computer keys the amp, amp keys the rig making for a very
smooth QSK.

Also I operated from our club station.  There I used a PRO3 driving a
Alpha8410.  This is the new one with the 4CX1000A's instead of the 4CX800's.
The rig keys the amp.  The QSK was good but either it was very quick or just my
ears but the CW seems to be choppy.  The other operator was using break-in when
I took over.  I think that was the reason.

Using the Alpha I ran between 1200 and 1400 watts output and the amp never got
warm.  Several European stations that were running stopped and told us that we
had a big signal!  I never had that happen at home.

Bottom line, go with the Alpha at $5000 (if someone else is paying for it) or a
Centurion if you can find a good used one.

Joe K0BX

 Stop the insanity!
Please do not add me to any distribution lists (Joke, Stories or Junk) without
my permission.