Re: [TenTec] OT: USB to Serial interface

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] OT: USB to Serial interface
From: "Dr. Gerald N. Johnson" <geraldj@weather.net>
Date: Wed, 02 Mar 2011 23:19:58 -0600
Maybe there's a parameter in windoze setup that allows it to poll ports
like there is one for polling drive to see if the replacable disk has
changed. That makes it see a new floppy or CD even though all you did
was insert it. In a PC with a floppy or worse a hot removable drive
(like some Gateway laptops have used to switch from CD to floppy) when
it looks for the floppy or CD and the drive is gone or empty it hangs
the computer. My windoze XP computer SP2 doesn't have any serial ports,
but that board is at hand so I can key a rig for packet radio. I sure
don't want it keying randomly.

I suspect some uber thinker windoze function is asserting DTR (which is
used for keying) to detect if a hardware serial device is attached hot.
RS232 standard would require a modem to respond with DSR.

I didn't find the check floppy flag but I recall its found from the
control panel. I don't have any serial ports to check, and the USB
serial I want to check.

73, Jerry, K0CQ