Re: [TenTec] Orion 565 and RemoteRig

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Orion 565 and RemoteRig
From: "Ron Castro" <ronc@sonic.net>
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2011 11:41:46 -0700
I'm planning a remote operation and have most of the parts "breadboarded" in
the home shack, and I have spent a lot of time looking at this.  RemoteRig
probably has the capability of running over one of the virtual serial ports,
but using a remote computer with N4PY server/client software is a better
option.  RemoteRig has excellent audio quality in both directions, even at
the lower quality settings and is almost indistinguishable from "live", plus
it's rigged to run CW in such a way that you it's totally seamless even with
fairly long latencies.

With the remote computer, you can use Larry, N8LP's (telepostinc.com) free
software to remote SteppIR controllers and Telepost's excellent Wattmeter
and there are several remote rotator control programs around.  Larry also
makes a remote control system that can control system that can be configured
to switch things like directional RX antennas, fans, heaters, etc. as
needed.  Just add a remote controllable linear like an ACOM or Alpha and
you're good to go!

            Ron  N6IE
       www.N6IE.com