[TenTec] Model 253 band decoder

To: "TenTec Reflector" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Model 253 band decoder
From: "CSM\(r\) Gary Huber" <glhuber@msn.com>
Date: Tue, 24 May 2011 07:57:24 -0500
For those who may have missed it due to the Dayton Hamvention,  I submitted
a band decoder solution for the model 253 Automatic Antenna Coupler (also
works for the Hercules Linear Amplifier) when using the OMNI-VII or other
TenTec transceivers lacking a band output.

See http://tentecwiki.org/doku.php?id=253banddecoder

or

I recently completed a band decoding interface for the TenTec model 253
Automatic Antenna Coupler. The 253 requires a voltage of +10 to +14 VDC at 3
ma on one of seven pins to select the preset tuning information for up to
seven memories on each of four switch positions (28 memories). Originally
the voltage and pin selection was provided by the TenTec transceiver, but
the OMNI-VII does not.

I used Commander to provide BCD via the computer parallel port to the
(solder pads ABCD) UM BCD-10, the band is decoded (J1 1-9) which then pulls
down pin 2 of the selected (band) 8L01 DIP Relay, which upon contact closure
outputs +12 VDC on pin 14 to one of seven Band Select pins on the #86027-26
to the 15 pin Molex® on the rear panel of the model 253 tuner. Pins 6 and 8
of the 8L01 DIP Relay are at +12 VDC supplied by +VR of BCD-10. The UM
BCD-10 receives +12 VDC from the OMNI-VII Power Supply.