Re: [TenTec] power went out

To: "'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment'" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] power went out
From: "Rick - DJ0IP / NJ0IP" <Rick@DJ0IP.de>
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2011 16:16:35 +0200
Frank, I understand your point, but here's mine:
"Somebody has to build them, otherwise there wouldn't be any amplifiers".
And if somebody builds them, somebody has to repair them.

I've built 5 amps in my ham career.
I admit, every time I have to work on the opened box, I'm frightened.
Frightened to the point that I pay extras attention to what I am doing.
I was also taught how to deal with it in school, and even in the Army.
I'm not sure the electronic schools even deal with this topic anymore.

The fact is, you need:

1. the proper training (and have understood it)
2. the proper test equipment, especially a HV probe
3. an accurate schematic of the equipment
4. to be very alert (not tired) when you work on it.
5. to have somebody else in the room watching you

And then it's OK.

If you're not in compliance with all 5 points,  DON'T TOUCH IT.

73
Rick, DJ0IP