Re: [TenTec] Steve Hunts web site

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Steve Hunts web site
From: Steve Hunt <steve@karinya.net>
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2011 20:31:15 +0100
Folks,

This was the problem:

On the host GoDaddy USA  server, at the level above my "karinya" domain,
the .htaccess file had been attacked and changed so that it pointed to a
malware site. It had been done cleverly so that normal visitors were not
re-directed to the malware site, but anyone visiting from a Google
referral *was*. That meant anyone accessing the site directly - for
example someone trying to track down the problem - would think all was well.

Google did *not* find any malware on my site - it simply spotted the
re-direction to a malware site. But to be sure I will probably now
re-upload the whole of my site from a known clean local copy.

The top level .htaccess file has now been restored and the password
access - which was already pretty strong - made even stronger.

I'm confident the site is now OK, but it may take a while for the
changes to be reflected on Google.

73,
Steve G3TXQ