Re: [TenTec] orion settings

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] orion settings
From: Barry N1EU <barry.n1eu@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2011 07:39:22 -0400
Paul, you'll probably get many replies with all kinds of "magical"
setting combinations.  Personally, I don't buy the magic.  For the
first year or two of the Orion firmware, RF Gain setting was decoupled
from the firmware's AGC algorithms which made it necessary to
constantly "play" with AGC Threshold setting - this has long since
been unnecessary.  I've found that minimizing AGC action and
maximizing dynamic range is the simple prescription to optimal quiet
reception.  I am assuming you are not hard of hearing, in which case
other methods might be necessary.

Initial settings:
- set threshold to 1uV or lower and leave it there
- other AGC settings are unimportant - feel free to experiment - I
typically leave AGC OFF

Crucially important gain setting:
- turn up RF Gain and tune in an s9+ signal; now turn up AF Gain so
the signal is as loud as your comfort level will allow (it should be
LOUD but not painful)
- LEAVE the AF Gain there (always) - depending on headphones, this is
75%-90% of maximum AF Gain for me
- reduce RF Gain and turn off preamp so that band noise is just
audible - from now on, make all gain adjustments with RF Gain (NOT AF
Gain) - I usually only adjust RF Gain by increasing slightly for the
weakest signals.  In other words, I let strong signals be loud and
weak signals be faint.  They are still all very readable against a
quiet background.  My typical RF Gain value might be 60% with preamp
off

Good to go

73,
Barry N1EU