Re: [TenTec] Keeping Omni VI alive

To: ken.d.brown@hawaiiantel.net, tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Keeping Omni VI alive
From: Glenn <wa4aos@aol.com>
Date: Sat, 1 Oct 2011 15:51:18 -0400 (EDT)

Would copying the contents of a known good EPROM for a Omni VI, to a new
EPROM and providing that to a person who owns an Omni VI in need of a
new EPROM be a copyright violation? If that person owns the Omni VI,
doesn't he own the right to have one good EPROM with the program intact?
Even if he has to get it from someone who made a copy, other than
Ten-Tec? Is Ten-Tec still providing these? Would it cut into their
profits? Would there be a problem if the person providing the service
does not charge for the programming?

DE N6KB

Yes, Ten Tec does provide EPROMS and full service on the Omni 6 and that will
probably not change anytime soon.
I understand your question but before I copy EPROMS for others, I would want to
ask for and get permission  from Ten Tec.
It is their intellectual property even if we have paid for the transceivers. I
have burned EPROMs for myself but again that was not for profit..
I am not a legal expert but suspect it's like buying a Microsoft product, you
really don't own it technically.

Besides just a courtesy, I would not want to step on any toes or upset the
folks and friends at Ten Tec..

73,
Glenn WA4AOS

DSM Labs ( dot com)

> I don't have permission to duplicate Ten Tec's firmware but have not asked. I
do have the EPROMs and burner to do so.