Re: [TenTec] Orion gain setting

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Orion gain setting
From: Richards <jruing@ameritech.net>
Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2011 00:37:07 -0500
Yes.... My Omni VII works the same way.

I liked Barry's initial instructions, although I admit that I do
tweak the AF Gain control now and then...   but I would recommend anyone
new to the rig  (Jupiter, Omni VII or Orion II - it does not
really matter which)  to follow Barry's instructons to the letter,
and not vary the AF Gain for at least two weeks, so that one will
become quite adept at working the RF Gain instead of the AF Gain
most of the time.   If you tweak the AF Gain too much, you might
end up back with your old habits.

I have used this on other radios  (mostly Kenwood) and the same
rules apply, but the radios have way less RF Gain range - the range
over which the adjustment works,  until you find the "sweet spot" is
way narrow on the Kenwood rigs.  Not bad, but not nearly as wide
ranging and, therefore, harder to find the "sweet spot" where
the signal pops up and the noise fades out.