Re: [TenTec] Omni Speech Processor

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Omni Speech Processor
From: amsctalx@comcast.net
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2011 20:18:53 +0000 (UTC)
Certainly it can be done; digital signal processing is a matter of applying a
function to any given digital representation of an analog signal. Audio
compression is, at first glance, relatively simple - add amplitude to signals
below a particular threshold, and reduce amplitude for signals below a
particular threshold. In practice, raising the intelligibility of speech isn't
the easiest thing in the world to understand, much less realizing in software
or silicon. I think this is why many radios still use "RF" compression, often
in conjunction with "audio" compression. It works and it's easy. As someone
that has written an ASIC mask of a compander algorithm (I didn't write the
algorithm), this isn't nearly as easy to implement as the classic SSB-RF speech
processor circuit.

But the original poster's question - why offer the 715 as an accessory for the
Omni VII - is answered best by the people that have listened to my audio. No
fiddling with the built-in DSP got me the same results as the two minutes spent
adjusting the 715.

Mike Alexander - N8MSA

amsctalx@comcast.net