[TenTec] RX366 Update

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] RX366 Update
From: John Henry <jhenry@tentec.com>
Date: Thu, 1 Dec 2011 11:10:02 -0500
Very good dialogue on the RX366.

The RX366 is only part of a "receiver".
It basically replaces the 2nd receiver board in the Orion(s).
(Orion(s) in this posting really refers to the Orion 565 and Orion II
566)
The RF input to the RX366 board comes from the Orion(s) antenna switch
matrix. So you still have all of the "inputs" to the RX366 that you
currently have in the Orion(s) to the current sub receiver. The RF
input goes to the RX366 Preselector board with an input attenuator and
preselector, then the rx preamp, then onto the TXRX board which
provides roofing filters and a few other signal related processing
items. The RX366 uses its own synthesizer board for LO generation
(Fracn board of 599). This Fracn board gets its reference from the
Orion(s). So they are pseudo locked in phase. I say pseudo because the
alignment of the output of the RX566 is frequency adjustable so that
you can fine tune the main and sub rx for diversity reception down to
1/2 hz or so.
The CPUs/DSPs in the Orion(s) control the RX366, set up which filter
to use, turns on/off the preamp and attenuator, sets up the reference
oscillator for it, etc.
The output of the RX366 is 14khz RX IF that goes to the DSP. The DSP
then does all software filtering, etc.
It does not have any DSP processing included. The Orion(s) processors
performs the DSP processing for the RX366 just as it does for the
current sub-rx on the Orion(s). This is the main reason I wouldn't
call this a real "receiver". Not able to be used on it's own, would
require some DSP processing of the output.

Something that I think some customers are not aware of, or have
missed, since this is built using the TXRX board of the Eagle, this
means that there is a 9MHz output available on a TMP connector. This
can be brought out to provide a second sweep on a PC, in addition to
the Main RX 9MHz IF output. Can we say "two PC Sweeps" from a single
rig?? Now that provides some very interesting possibilities to someone
who wants to see two bands full spectrum, but I do admit it will
require a hefty PC with a dual high end sound card.... But the
possibilities are interesting to say the least.

Regarding kit/with an O2, etc....
Present kit is a set of boards, take out your current sub rx,
install/bolt this one in it's place, then master reset, say yes to
"RX366 Installed?", set up which filters you have in which slot of the
RX366, and you are in business.
RX366 will come with one filter, and you can then add to your order
filters at the standard price. One filter will come preinstalled in
the "kit", and it is a matter of taking out two screws, inserting very
easily any optional filters, rescrew down the filter guard, and then
you are ready to run. Granted, we may offer at different
events/hamventions/etc, packages and incentive pricing, but that is
not in the works as of now.

It is not visible on the web site yet, won't be until we are ready to
start taking orders.
May post some technical data early, install instructions, manual,
etc., but for now, we probably won't make that available until January
or worst case start of shipments.

We don't have an exact plan on how to address it with purchases of a
new Orion II 566.
That will all be announced at a later date.

It will prove to be a very good option to thousands of Orion 565/566 owners.

At the moment, there is no plan to offer it as an optional external
boxed 2nd receiver unit. Would require some DSP processing anyway to
make the 14khz output usable.

Granted, I could envision offering it as is with a programmers
reference guide on how to control it, and then let entrepreneurial
individuals take it and build a dsp processor of their own onto it,
etc. Might spark a new cottage industry around it itself. Never know.
That is how SDR evolved.

I hope I have answered everyone's questions, I'm sure I missed a few though.

We continue to think "reuse", and "improve on what we have built and
know", and of course are right now inventing new ways to beat the old
numbers, provide better features/functionality etc., with the help of
some very astute hams who offer their time and talents so that we can
provide them the "toys" they want, and also provide the emergency
communications equipment many need.

Regarding other projects....
539 QRP rig is coming along well, working on some featuring, transmit
quality, etc., next year, more to come, that is ALL I'll say on the
539 for now.
418 100w brick should be shipping 1st quarter 2012. Looking great,
very happy with it.
HSSB will undergo some integration and testing with the OMNI-VII
hopefully this week. Depends upon the supplier. Can't project a
completion date yet. Still so much left to get done on it.
Have a plan to get the Ethernet audio improved so it can work at dsl
modem data rates, but it will follow completion of the above.

Gotta run, get code done on the 539, y'all take care, and most of all,
enjoy the hobby,

John