Re: [TenTec] Yamaha CM-500 boomset use with Orion II? <Jupiter>

To: k9yc@arrl.net, Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Yamaha CM-500 boomset use with Orion II? <Jupiter>
From: Richards <jruing@ameritech.net>
Date: Sat, 10 Dec 2011 20:55:56 -0500

On 12/9/2011 1:51 AM, Jim Brown wrote:

> using a pad (resistive attenuator), I'd be very surprised if it is
> needed.  It was NOT needed with an FT1000MP, which has a very sensitive
> mic input, and had be turned very close to zero with a CM500.

        Ah...  Precisely wherefore the attenuator.

But when I
> did that for testing with a very good engineer and serious contester
> listening only three miles away, he gave me a clean bill of health.

        Yes, but the AGC is crowded and will not work
        as well as it might if the mic were in the middle
        of the range as is typical.  At least that is what
        I get from the Ten Tec service guys and some of the
        guys on the other TT discussion lists.

> One other VERY important point. With any mic like this, it's good to
> keep it away from your mouth to avoid breath pops and bass boost. That
> spacing will also reduce the need for a pad. I wear mine with the mic
> about 2 inches above and 2 inches to the side of my mouth.

        Ah, yes... mostly, but a close talking mic works best
        close up  (they are designed to be used about 1/2
        inch from the side of the mouth.)   Farther away,
        the higher the input volume has to be, and the less
        "noise canceling" it becomes, therefor.  The whole
        deal is the volume of signal-to-noise volume, and the
        farther away you place the microphone, the less volume
        from speech, and more volume of ambient noise from the
        room, which tends to cancel the whole purpose of a
        ... er... um.... noise canceling microphone.

        Will that extra two inches matter?  Maybe not a lot,
        but the principal is the same, and it will matter a little,
        even if not a lot when we are dealing with ham radio
        gear  (after all, it gets a whopping 10% harmonic and
        other distortion rating !)   But, still, it is less
        noise canceling nonetheless.   It would matter in regards
        to speech recognition software applications, which is where
        I learned about this type of microphone, as a hardware and
        software product tester for 15 years.

        So... that is MY take... anyway...    ;-)