Re: [TenTec] QRP transceivers

To: "'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment'" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] QRP transceivers
From: "Rick - DJ0IP / NJ0IP" <Rick@DJ0IP.de>
Date: Fri, 23 Dec 2011 18:03:22 +0100
I bought an 817 when they first came out.
I was impressed by the design and build quality.

I sold it two weeks later.
The receiver was crap for European bands.
Let me be more specific, it was sensitive and all, and nice on a small
antenna, but if you connected it to a big antenna and tried to use it, it
crunched.

I'm sure the KX3 and and 539 will be significantly better, but also bigger.
I expect both of these rigs to be very competitive under contest conditions,
whereas you can completely forget about trying to operate a contest with the
817.

For some applications, I'm sure the 817 is a great rig, but it just didn't
hack it for my needs.

You pays your money and you takes your choice.

Merry Christmas or Happy Holiday to everyone.

73
Rick, DJ0IP