Re: [TenTec] swapping a tantalum...

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] swapping a tantalum...
From: "Roy" <royanjoy@ncn.net>
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2012 11:49:14 -0600
Not to be a killjoy but: Personally I would be careful in the wholesale
replacement of electrolytics with Tantalum caps. Tantalum caps can not stand
the inrush current that electrolytics can which can cause the Tantalum cap
to fail. They require some series impedance from the voltage source to the
cap so as not to exceed the inrush current.

I agree it can be done in some places just be careful.

Couple of references!

73, Dennis N9TZL

I take the below statement to possibly pertain to protecting the external
circuit referred to, and not the cap.(?)

73,   Roy     K6XK

"Tantalum capacitors have a relatively low effective series resistance (ESR)
when compared to equivalent value aluminium electrolytic capacitors. Because
of this, care must be taken when designing a circuit using tantalum
capacitors to limit charge and discharge currents (particularly those of a
repetitive nature) to a safe value. "

TenTec mailing list