[TenTec] [Ten Tec] Grounds

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] [Ten Tec] Grounds
From: Don Allen <w9cw@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2012 07:14:14 -0600
The deck was in the process of being built when the two Illinois Power
electrical utility employees installed the buried electrical service to the
meter, and the ground rod was installed directly beneath the deck within 3 feet
of the house's poured concrete basement wall.  Not only did they install it
where the deck was being built - and, they knew it was being built over the
ground rod - they provided absolutely no protection to the joint of the ground
wire from the meter and the 8' copper ground rod.  I was present watching this,
and I told them they should use something, such as Coax Seal or whatever they
normally use to seal the joint, but they looked at me like I was crazy.  They
hammered the ground rod and ground wire below ground level without any joint
protection.  So, now years later, I am sure that rod/wire junction is filled
with copper oxide (not a good conductor!), and other contaminants.  You can't
tell these union electrical utility workers anything - they know
  it all, or at least they think they do.

73
Don W9CW

/Technically, a ground wire covered by the deck is a violation of the
National Electrical Code.  Likely the rod was there first, and the deck
was built over it./