Re: [TenTec] Extra...Extra...

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Extra...Extra...
From: Richards <jruing@ameritech.net>
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2012 00:47:03 -0500
Great story, Jerry !!     My mom was a grade school teacher, and I am
6"4" myself....   I can just picture you sitting there all crunched up
and trying to stay cool. !!

Thanks.

And Thanks for the kind words, Guys, ....

NEXT... I learn THE CODE... which may the bigger challenge !

Happy days,  TenTec mavens and devotees.

------------------------------  James -K8JHR/AE -------------------------

On 2/15/2012 10:38 PM, Jerry Haigwood wrote:
> Richards,
>      I can remember getting my Extra ticket in about 1988-1989 (I think)?  I
> had been on 10 meters with KS4G every night for at least 2-3 months to build
> my code speed up to 22-24 WPM.  Jim lived across town from me in Cary NC and
> no one else was on the band back then so we would burn up the airwaves every
> night.  I took the exam at the Durham NC Hamfest.  The test was administered
> by two lovely ladies from the Norfolk VA FCC office in a grade school.  I am
> a big guy and I don't fit grade school chairs very well.  I remember
> listening to some 22 WPM code groups in my car before going in for the test.
> It was a bit uncomfortable for me sitting in the small seats but I was able
> to pass both the 20 WPM code and written exam on the first try.  Just like
> you, I was elated!  Good luck to you and have fun with the new privileges.
> Jerry W5JH

s   /.