Re: [TenTec] Low (to no) Power Out Omni D--han'nt given up yet

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Low (to no) Power Out Omni D--han'nt given up yet
From: Mike Bryce <prosolar@sssnet.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2012 10:23:24 -0500
Rick,

Scott, is right.

Although you are getting two watts from the PA, you need to have more from the
LLD.

The fact that you're not drawing current indicates you're not making the PA
work. If you were drawing current and nothing was coming out, then you'd have a
shorted transistor or two.

It is still possible that you have a failure in the PA, but those transistors
are a bear to get to.

When an solid state PA is assembled, it's built from the pcb upward like a
building is assembled from the ground up. If one or both of the transistors are
bad, then you have to un-assemble the entire PA to get to the bottom
transistors. It's labor intensive and after you're done, right now it's a crap
shoot as to wether or not that's the problem.

This weekend I'll pull one of my Omnis out of the pile and measure the LLD
power into a 50 ohm load and I'll see about getting some wave form photos from
the scope,

Now, I know this is a long shot, but if you had someone near by with a defunct
triton 4 the pa is damn near the same as in your omni, a quick swap would tell
you volumes.

Or...

do you own a qrp rig?

disconnect the omni's PA from the LLD and inject 3-6 watts into it from the qrp
rig. Key the omni and you should see 30 to 60ish watts. (make sure you're one
the same band!)

what you did would be to use the qrp transceiver as the LLD and allow the PA to
to its thing. Yeah, there's all kinds of impedances mismatches, but it will
work.

Mike, wb8vge