Re: [TenTec] OT: Scopes

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] OT: Scopes
From: Mike Bryce <prosolar@sssnet.com>
Date: Sat, 18 Feb 2012 14:44:11 -0500
russell,

Jerry is right. Let me toss in a few words here.

Depending on what you're planning to do with the scope, you can use a cheaper
20 mhz to 40 mhz scope with great success and a lot less money.

What Scott has been troubleshooting, doesn't require a high bandwidth 'scope.

Take a look at the old tektronics main frame 'scopes. They're as big as an SUV
and just about as heavy. They go for $20ish dollars. Then you need the plug
ins, a sweep and a vertical amp. Last ones I got were about $10ish bucks each.
All from ebay. Watch the prices as they vary a lot.

An old B&K 40 mhz scope about $40.

The HP8640 is a great generator. Got one on my bench. However be very cautious
as the plastic/nylon gears break inside. There are NO replacements. Ask the
seller this before you plop your money down.

For the money, a 'scope is the best investment any ham can make. From
troubleshooting a Omni D to adjusting the output of your amp, it's a wise use
of money

Mike, wb8vge