[TenTec] adding xtal filter to the Orion

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] adding xtal filter to the Orion
From: Bill Tippett <btippett@alum.mit.edu>
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2012 08:20:36 -0500
NQ4I:
 > so to implement what I need
will require a modification to the Orions in my station to allow the
insertion of a xtal filter in the rcvr path.

         The filter does not need to be inside Orion to be
in the signal path.  It can simply be ahead of Orion
externally.  Inrad already makes such filters here:

http://www.inrad.net/home.php?cat=146

However note that they have wider bandwidths for the higher
bands (e.g. 50 kHz on 10m vs 5 kHz on 160m).  This is because
it's VERY difficult to make narrow bandwidth filters at higher
frequencies, although Network Sciences did make a 3 kHz filter
for the FT2000 at 70 MHz.

If you wanted to cover 10m with a series of 5 kHz filters, I'd
guess you're looking in the neighborhood of 20 filters (20 * 5 kHz
= 100 kHz) at a cost >$300 each for a special order.

                                 73,  Bill  W4ZV