Re: [TenTec] Centurion Amp

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Centurion Amp
From: Jim Brown <k9yc@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2012 20:45:07 -0700
On 3/14/2012 7:28 PM, kc9cdt@aol.com wrote:
> Yep...for some reason I got Centurian and Herc confused.

And don't confuse the original Herc 444 with the Herc II (420). The 420
IS repairable.  The 444 was discontinued soon after it was introduced
because Motorola discontinued the output devices. Cost Ten Tec a lot of
money. The Herc 444 was a very nice amp (I had one for a while), very
well protected. The only flaw I know of was a thermal voltage regulation
problem in the power supply that, because of Motorola's move, never got
fixed (apparently they didn't want to spend engineering time to fix a
design that was dead).

73, Jim K9YC