Re: [TenTec] 566 Orion II Firmware Version V3.029 ---SpectrumDisplay &Tu

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] 566 Orion II Firmware Version V3.029 ---SpectrumDisplay &Tuning...
From: Kim Elmore <cw_de_n5op@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2012 22:24:52 -0500
I tried this with my OII, think that I must have missed something. I
simply never see the S-meter drop and then rise as I decrease RF
gain. Of course, it will drop if I turn off the preamp, but not as I
change the RF gain setting using the multi knob.  What I see is that
the minimum S-meter reading rises as RF gain is reduced (as if the
AGC voltage is being increased which is, in some sense, what's
happening).  At some point the minimum S-meter reading is above the
maximum deflection due to static crashes. Then, any signals stronger
than the static crashes will lead to an upward deflection.  Am I
missing something subtle? Does anyone else see the S-meter drop then
rise as the RF gain is decreased?

I set my SAF by ear as per the TT instructions, decreasing RF gain
until I hear only a little ringing. Even though I am almost
exclusively CW, I tried it a couple of times on SSB was surprised how
much it helped on weak signals.

73,

Kim N5OP