Re: [TenTec] Omni VII Filters

To: "'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment'" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Omni VII Filters
From: "Rick - DJ0IP / NJ0IP" <Rick@DJ0IP.de>
Date: Wed, 16 May 2012 14:58:58 +0200
These are very nice, realistic observations, Paul.
Nobody will ever lose a contest or even lose a few points in the standings
buy running an Omni VII instead of an Orion.*
The OM7 is as good or better than a lot of the other radios people win
contests with.

The one place where the OM7 will be at a disadvantage is if you are trying
to use it at a multi-multi station where you have at least 6 max legal power
stations on the air simultaneously from a location the size of a football
field, or if you have a field day site with 2 stations operating on the same
band at the same time, one on CW and the other on SSB. Then every dB of DR3
makes a difference.

I also had 2 Orions and about 6 Omni V/VI/VI+ over the years, but I prefer
operating the Omni VII over all of them.
Don't tell anyone I said this, but I even like it a wee bit better than my
Eagle, but the Eagle has other advantages - size, weight, and simplicity.

*The exception would only be a top notch 160m operator with great antennas
in a 160m contest.  The rest of the time, the rest of the contests, the
operator makes far more difference that the tiny bit of difference in the
radios.

And my favorite slogan:  "It's the ANTENNA stupid!"

In my books, the Omni VII is the best all-around radio on the planet today
for 98% of all hams.

73
Rick, DJ0IP