Re: [TenTec] Jupiter with ALS 600

To: "'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment'" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Jupiter with ALS 600
From: "Rick - DJ0IP / NJ0IP" <Rick@DJ0IP.de>
Date: Mon, 28 May 2012 13:17:29 +0200
John,

Here are the steps for using the ALS 600 with the Jupiter:

- First, buy your XYL some flowers and give a hug and a kiss and say tnx.
Then kiss her again and tell her that one's from Rick.  Now continue
below...

- Then read your manual, page 3-5, paragraph 3.15.  This explains operation
with a non-QSK amplifier. You have to adjust a menu function called  EXT T/R
DELAY.  I would start with a delay of about 1/2 second.  You didn't tell us
if you work CW, SSB, or both.  For SSB it's a non-issue anyway.  It's CW
where you can get hot switching problems if you are not careful.

- Study the drawing in Figure 3-1 at the bottom of page 3-6.  This shows you
how to connect your Jupiter to the ALS 600.  All you need is a shielded
cable with a male RCA Phono plug on each end.

- After connecting as shown in Figure 3-1, and making the necessary
adjustment to EXT T/R DELAY, you are ready to "LAUDENBOOMER."

- No Ten-Tec transceiver has an ALC connection.  Don't worry about it.  Just
adjust your transceiver's mic gain and compressor as described in the book
and you will have no problems.  The adjustment of the "ALC SET" on the front
panel of the ALS 600 will have no influence on your operations.  It doesn't
matter where it is adjusted to.

The ALS 600 is a good little amp.  I had one for a few years and used it
with my Omni VI.  I wish I had never sold it!

Have fun!
Rick, DJ0IP