Re: [TenTec] Rsc value for LM723 in 280/255 power supplies?

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Rsc value for LM723 in 280/255 power supplies?
From: Peter Bertini <radioconnection@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 2 Jun 2012 17:07:48 -0400
I hope I am replying to the current thread correctly; since I don't see a
reply feature when reading the archives.

I'm not concerned about the damage, I am rebuilding the supply with all new
parts including the semiconductors and old electrolytic caps. I'm aware of
the need for current limiting for the TenTec PAs for low impedance-load SWR
protection.

But, my question should have been a bit more specific: I was curious  how
the value for Rsc was calculated, and what is this being used for in this
particular power supply? The 0.62 ohm resistor is between pins two and
three on the LM-723-- they are the current limit and current sense lines
for the LM-723. It almost looks like they are providing some method of
foldback protection for the supply if the pass transistor base current
exceeds a certain level?? I can't make much sense of the app note info for
the value of Rsc. I'm curious as to what Rsc actually does.

Pete