[TenTec] Getting on CW

To: "'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment'" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Getting on CW
From: "Rick - DJ0IP / NJ0IP" <Rick@DJ0IP.de>
Date: Sun, 1 Jul 2012 12:03:35 +0200
James,

There really is not as much difference between operating CW and SSB as one
might think.
If you already have good operating habbits on SSB, you'll do alright on CW.

Don't worry much about the new Q signals and other abbreviations, because:

 - Most of the Q signals used are the same ones we use on SSB (QRZ, QTH,
QRM, QRN, QRX, QSO etc.).  The only one you will need to learn in a hurry is
"QRS" (send slower). hi
 - As for the abbreviations, well no surprises, many are the same as we use
for text messaging on cell phones.  Probably the single most common one used
in SSB and CW is "WX".  The most common is "TNX" or "TU" (either will work).
Although you will find long lists of abbreviations, there are really very
few actually used in most QSOs.

BEFORE you get on the air, I would recommend simply listening.
You can make a list of the Q signals and abbreviations you hear and look
them up after their QSO has ended.
Perhaps you can start in the Novice band.
Sure, these guys are beginners too and might make a mistake from time to
time, but you will find many QSOs follow the same pattern, and you will
quickly develop a feeling for the structure of a typical QSO.  You will be
able to copy the QSO easily at their speeds.

What I found really helps is to find a friend, and make your first CW QSO
with him.
Then make a couple of more.
After a couple of days, you will be comfortable and can call CQ or S&P on
someone!

Wish I were closer.  I would be happy to get on the air with you.

73
Rick, DJ0IP