Re: [TenTec] new to CW dxing

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] new to CW dxing
From: "Dave Plews" <djplews@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 2 Jul 2012 19:14:49 -0500
Al's (WB5JNC) comments are ones that remind me of my experience in learning
the Morse Code.  One of the methods that helped me after I learned the
letters was to use Code Records.  The Code Records though started out at 5
WPM and then increased by steps until they got up to 15 or 20 WPM as I
recall by small increments.  They send for fairly long periods of time, too.
By the time they got up to 10 WPM or so my hand and wrist were quite tired
writing / printing everything down on paper.  So I'd stop and do something
else until the next night.
The next night I started at the same place (i.e. slowest speed) and worked
my way up as far as I could go.  I couldn't ever get past about 10 WPM.  I
stopped again and waited till the next night.  The next night resulted in
the same skill level, 10 WPM.  Ugh!
So I decided that I'd skip right up to the 10 WPM instead and go on from
there the next night.  Wow!  What a difference!  I went right up to 15 or
higher WPM.  The next night I started from where I left off and by no time I
was copying Morse Code at 20 WPM and I was ready to copy the W1AW
Proficiency Run before I ever got my ham radio ticket.  I think I was able
to do 30 WPM by the time I went down to the FCC office in downtown Chicago
to take the General.
I've enjoyed CW immensely ever since.
Dave W9TG...