Re: [TenTec] My First Ten-Tec

To: <wa3fiy@radioadv.com>, "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] My First Ten-Tec
From: GARY HUBER <glhuber@msn.com>
Date: Wed, 4 Jul 2012 13:39:43 -0500
Lee, I have to agree with your comments regarding your first impressions of
TenTec radios. When I started using my first TenTec, the OMNI-D, it was so
different from the Yaesu FT-101 in operation and feel, I was sure I had made
a mistake. The feel of the OMNI-D internal and remote VFOs were not as
smooth as the FT-101 and its remote VFO and generally the front panel knobs
felt more like that of a Heathkit.  The philosophy of operation of the
TenTec OMNI-D was quite different too.... audio derived AGC, with maximum
sensitivity achieved turning the RF gain fully counter clock-wise, then
turning the AF gain for comfortable listening or increasing RF gain for
comfortable listening if AF gain was full clock-wise.

But after a couple weeks I grew to understand I had a really great radio
with dual receive (remote VFO) for working DX and in particular CW DX using
QSK, and the AUX RX option to provide a protected on TX switched antenna
connection for the R4-B receiver. On several occasions I was asked by
visiting HAMs if the receiver was working, as the radio was so quiet until
there were signals within the bandpass of the OMNI-D.

The CORSAIR-II is much the same, it’s a 80 dB dynamic range, 0.2 uV
sensitivity radio, the last of the TenTec PTO based radios.  As such it’s a
very good radio for working DX and one I recommend for anyone who does not
have to have the latest DSP and computer controlled radio.  The CORSAIR-II
contains identifiable, available components so it can still be repaired but
seemingly it needs to be exercised to keep the capacitors formed and
potentiometers and contacts free of corrosion. I've found I had more
problems with my CORSAIR-II as the result of infrequent use than when used
nearly every day.

73 ES DX,
Gary -- AB9M