Re: [TenTec] PK232 and Paragon 585

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] PK232 and Paragon 585
From: "Bob McGraw - K4TAX" <RMcGraw@Blomand.net>
Date: Sun, 8 Jul 2012 06:47:52 -0500
Depending on what modes you intend to operate and what software you are
using, I have had great success simply using good quality shielded cables
between the computer soundcard and the radio.   For modes, I've used CW,
AFSK, & PSK-31.   In each case audio from the computer was used and the
radio was operated in USB mode with the VOX handling the RX/TX requirements.

In order to address the issue of RF getting into the audio, I built a 20 dB
resistive pad and physically placed it at the connector for the Audio In.
This then required the soundcard to deliver a much higher audio level thus
improving the S/N on the cable between the computer and the radio.  No
transformers were used and no level controls used.  The control offered by
the software and the Windows Mixer environment was found to be most
adequate.

Audio from the radio to the computer was fed to the Line Input on the
computer soundcard.  Here again one must be careful if their system does not
have a Line In signal port but only has a MIC input.   The radio fixed audio
output will likely overdrive the input and problems abound.  Attenuation of
some 20 to 30 dB has been found satisfactory.  A suitable attenuator is made
in the form of a "T" network with the two series arms being some 10K ohms
and the center shunt being 680 ohms.

For PTT function, the VOX in the radio is adequately fast when correctly
adjusted for minimum hold time or delay, with VOX gain such the radio keys
reliably.

If one wishes to run PACKET or AMTOR or other modes then clearly an
interface is required.   But here again, the interface is generating and
receiving audio to and from the radio and thus careful attention to correct
levels must be maintained.

I am aware of one application where the SignalLink USB is being used with an
Omni VI.  He has buzz on his SSB audio if the SignalLink cable is connected
to the Audio In on the radio.  This is most likely the issue of the audio
level being low with a good bit of gain existing at the radio.  I've
suggested a 30 dB T attenuator and operate the SignalLink at a higher level
but he prefers to just disconnect the Audio In cable when not being used.

73
Bob, K4TAX