Re: [TenTec] OT: Field Day Drill... and back to TT stuff

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] OT: Field Day Drill... and back to TT stuff
From: Louis Ciotti <lciotti1@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2012 15:15:21 -0400
All good points.  I guess my real problem is this.  We had a hand full
of people stop to "see what we were doing" and we did are best to show
them what we were doing and what purpose it serves.  A lot of the PR
stuff that is pushed is the Em-Com type of answers.  I.E. we are
setting up to practice in case the communications backbone becomes
inoperative.  All well and good, but if from an outsiders point of
view the way field day is run, I do not think the usefulness can be
easily recognised.

Think of it this way, you have never heard of amateur radio and you
stumble apon a field day setup.  You stroll over to see what it is all
about.  After some intruduction to what is going on by someone, you
are directed to the Phone station.  There you have a ham doing the
prescribed call sign, class and section.  loggin the information on
either paper or computer and it repeats.  To the average Joe who knows
nothing about this stuff,  what does it demonstate to them?  Even a
digital station does not offer up anything that can spark the interest
of the average Joe.

Any way enough about FD....

Anyone have any experience debugging the Model 242 Remote VFO for the
Model 540 Rigs?  I think that is going to back on my bench soon as
most of my current project are going o be complete soon.