Re: [TenTec] TT 580 Delta

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] TT 580 Delta
From: "Bob McGraw - K4TAX" <RMcGraw@Blomand.net>
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2012 22:14:52 -0500
The 580 Delta is a very nice radio and one of the first ones from Tentec
that I purchased new.  The audio filter in the receiver  is sweet and really
does a nice job both on SSB and CW.

If I could define any issues they would be that the frequency read-out is a
calculated display, otherwise not actually reading the frequency of the
radio.  Typical error was 100 to 200 Hz on a good day.   Also, it was noted
to drift with temperature but did stabilize after 1/2 hr or so.    The PTO
was really stiff on cold days but as the radio/room warmed it was smooth.

In general the receiver is good, reasonably quiet, with few birdies.  The
transmitter with a dynamic mike produced good audio reports as long as one
didn't overdrive the ALC system.  The PA protection was either the Airpax
breaker or the over current circuit in the PS.  A strange antenna impedance
would quickly trip the station off line.    Mine had the WARC band crystals
added and produced many hours of enjoyment and many contacts while living on
my houseboat.

Overall, a nice looking and performing radio.

73
Bob, K4TAX