Re: [TenTec] Boards with obsolete parts

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Boards with obsolete parts
From: "Bob McGraw - K4TAX" <RMcGraw@Blomand.net>
Date: Sun, 22 Jul 2012 07:11:22 -0500
When I was with a JA electronics company, {some 15 years} and one that made
professional audio products and other things, we attempted to determine how
many and which parts were required to support a product for 7 years once
production was terminated.  We purchased those items and quantities and put
them in the parts center.  If we were correct in our forcast then the
product was supported for that period of time.  In certain cases, we were
wrong, and simply the parts were consumed before the period planned has
expired.  In many instances some of the parts were unique thus were totally
manufactured by the company.  In other cases the components were
discontinued by the supplier/manufacturer.  Bottom line, when parts are gone
and the source dries up, that's it.  Unless some enterprising sole chooses
to go into the re-design or manufacturing business, likely one that is a
hobby and most assuredly not profitable, just for gratification.

It is just basic business and we must understand that any business, to
continue to exist, must at least break even or ideally make a profit.  Yes,
in the instance above, we could design a new PC board, populate it, test it
and sell it.  The question "will the consumer pay the price?"   Likely not.
The 2nd point, is the cost of repair in any dollar amount is it worth the
investment in the product?  As a point of economics, likely not.   While
some may say, hey design and manufacture a new replacement board and sell it
to me at a reasonable cost.  OK, so it is sold at a loss then where is the
loss covered?  It goes into the new merchandise cost and eventually to the
consumer.  The next question, will the consumer pay the new product cost at
the current market.  Competitively, not likely.