Re: [TenTec] Lithium Battery

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Lithium Battery
From: "Geoffrey S. Mendelson" <geoffreymendelson@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2012 21:49:53 +0300
On 8/22/12 9:36 PM, Mike Hyder -N4NT- wrote:
> See if this helps:
> http://www.repeater-builder.com/radio-shack/replacing-the-rs-htx-202-internal-battery.pdf

It's really easy. I've done it several times in both the HTX-202's I had
over the years until I finally gave up due to the price of the nicads. I
replaced them with other radios with cheaper batteries.

To do it you need a set of phillps screwdrivers, a lithium coin cell
with wire leads, fully insulated and the usual cutting and soldering
tools. You will also need a small piece of thin double sided tape (not
the foam kind).

Make sure to take pictures, and to cut the leads at the battery instead
of unsoldering them. There's plenty of room for a 2032 cell, the wires
and so on.

I made the battery by taking a 2032 cell, and carefully soldering wires
to it using "silver bearing solder". The trick is to get a puddle to
stick without overheating the battery, let it cool, and then heat the
puddle and stick the wire in it. After it completely cooled, I checked
for heat damage and then covered it with one layer all around of
electrical tape.

If you can get a replacement battery with the leads welded on and
insulated, you are far ahead of the game, but I was not able to.

73,

Geoff.

--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson,  N3OWJ/4X1GM/KBUH7245/KBUW5379