Re: [TenTec] Station power supply??

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Station power supply??
From: Dennis R Baumgarte <ae2ee@rochester.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 03 Sep 2012 13:33:37 -0400
On 09/03/2012 13:09, denton wrote:
A bit off topic but...
I am thinking of revamping my station's power supply setup.

I have an Orion, Omni VII, 2 dual band uhf/vhf rigs and assorted item
that use 13.8 vdc for running and/or charging.
I currently have 2-Astron RS-35M and 1 20  amp Astron power supplies.

I also am running a 3000 watt ups with a ton of backup batteries....this
feeds just about everything in the shack.

What I am thinking of doing is eliminating the above Astrons, getting a
50 amp plus power strip to fire the station and various sundires, or
getting a series of switching power supplies.

Qth is very quiet on man made noise.

I am aiming for efficiency, with no rfi from power supply setups, from
what I have read, the switchers are very efficient, but still generate a
bit of rf hash....I might be wrong on this.

Any suggestions or observations?

Thanks in advance de Denton, WB7TDG

I would keep both RS-35 sell the 20 amp and still stay away from switching power supplies. Using one 50 amp power supply is not a good idea;for if it goes down then your out better to have 2 strips running with the 30 amp supplies than just the one. If one goes down you still can run sum of your equipment and be on the air.

Dennis AE2EE