Re: [TenTec] PS placement

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] PS placement
From: wade staggs <tvman1954@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2012 19:06:14 -0500
*I can only speak about my Paragon. Since it has an all Aluminum Case,
placing the massive transformer directly under the radio on a shelf. Caused
me all kinds of grief. The tiny 8 bit processor and frequency determining
components were Not Happy. Because I wanted to run several radio's from the
same supply and with Backup Battery. The matching Ten-Tec Supply was placed
on the top shelf of my closet as backup. I purchased and placed the Largest
Deep Cycle Marine Battery that AutoZone sells under the desk. The Astron 35
Amp PSU was carefully set to 13.6 volts also under the desk. All 3 of my
radio's have an AirPax 20 Amp Magnetic Breaker. There is also an AirPax 20
Amp Magnetic Breaker in the Power Supply Lead which feeds the Battery. If,
I forget to turn the Power Supply on and the Battery goes dead, the AirPax
Breaker prevents a melt down of the Astron while the Battery is in it's
High Current --- Charging Phase. If this breaker trips, it is easy to drag
out the Battery Charger to Recharge the Battery, and Save the Astron from
Over Current as the Battery Charges. I have tripped the Power Supply to
Battery Breaker 3 times this year. And possibly saved my Astron Power
Supply 3 times this year. My Shack is Lit by 2 strings of 300 White Leds. (
See Ebay ) Current draw for them is about 2.5 Amps. They are ON 24/7 and
during the day, the Power Supply remains off. Pulling just these lights and
the 2 meter 70 cm radio which is also never turned off equals about 4 Amps
Max. Every evening, when checking Email and talking on HF, the Power Supply
is on and recharging the Battery. This System has worked great for me the
past two and a half years. If I forget to turn the Power Supply off, still
no real harm done. My Battery just does not get cycled. Lights and Radio
when commercial power goes out.  Now thats just how one Old Poor Boy in
Tennessee does it...... Also, I have been to places where the water swirls
the wrong way when you flush. Sure was glad to get home.*
*
73 to all de Wade/KJ4WS*