Re: [TenTec] station power supplies

To: "'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment'" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] station power supplies
From: "Chuck N4XS" <chuck@n4xs.com>
Date: Fri, 7 Sep 2012 13:04:52 -0400
> From: Roy
> Subject: Re: [TenTec] station power supplies
>
> Linear supplies not having current drawn (no load)
> should not dissipate any power at all.

I'm not sure what your statement is based on, but it sure doesn't match my
experience. My RS-20 consumes (converts to heat) over 20 watts with nothing
connected to its output. That's not a whole lot of power, nor much of an
expense, but it does represent about 150 pounds of coal per year burned at
the power plant down the road.  I'm not counting the electricity needed to
remove that heat from my shack in the warmer months (partially offset by a
reduced need for heating in the winter).

When I was planning solar power for a cabin I bought a Kill-A-Watt outlet
strip that allows easy measurement of power consumption. Using it to check
the devices I regularly use has been interesting. A lot of electronic
devices use power even when turned off.

Chuck N4XS