Re: [TenTec] tapping collective wisdom of Omni 6 owners

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] tapping collective wisdom of Omni 6 owners
From: GARY HUBER <glhuber@msn.com>
Date: Fri, 7 Sep 2012 19:15:22 -0500
Carl,

I sold my OMNI-VI+ of ten years after trying out a OMNI-VII for thirty days. While I had worked lots of DX with the OMNI-VI+, I was concerned about parts availability. My OMNI-VII was purchased with the 300 and 500 Hz Collins mechanical filters (it comes standard with a 2500 Hz Collins mechanical filter installed). I did the N4PY sub-RX mod to extend the receiving loop out to the two auxiliary jacks on the back of the radio and added a FLEX-1500 which I use mostly as a panadapter but it also works to produce a 48 kHz bandwidth for CWSkimmer.

I believe you will find the OMNI-VII to be the one TenTec radio most similar in operation to the OMNI-VI+. Its pretty much What You See Is What You Get as far as the front panel controls and the menu is just one level deep, accessible via the MNU button. I've built some custom buttons and sliders in DXLab Commander to help automate the station, but manual control is very straightforward.

The OMNI-VII receiver seemed to be very close to the OMNI-VI+ receiver when I ran them side by side using a DOW-key relay to switch them between a common antenna, although the OMNI-VII receiver is subject to overload and requires the RF gain to be reduced. In fact, I seldom run the RF gain above 30 percent on the low bands (just fine for NH8S on 7003 kHz this morning) or 80 percent on ten meters.

The OMNI-VII transmit audio can be tailored to accommodate your microphone or voice. I've settled on 2600 TX BW, TX EQ 0 dB, and 15% Speech Processing. When more punch is needed, I turn on the TT 715 RF Clipper which increases the TX average power by 6 dB. I seldom turn on my Titan 425 as I've found the OMNI-VII at 100W with the 715 RF Clipper is usually competitive (in DX or contest pile-ups) with a 500-600 W output amplifier and un-processed audio.

Full disclosure: AB9M is a Ten-Tec Ambassador and receives compensation of $40 when a customer purchasing a OMNI-VII uses my callsign (AB9M) to receive free shipping for their purchase.

You may contact me off list via AB9M at ARRL dot NET.

73 ES DX,
Gary -- AB9M

-----Original Message----- From: Carl Gansen