Re: [TenTec] Paragon II model 586 questions

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Paragon II model 586 questions
From: "Geoffrey S. Mendelson" <geoffreymendelson@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 06 Oct 2012 18:24:19 +0200
Peter Bertini wrote:
Thanks Mike... that confirms my suspicions. I'd also guess the Dallas time
chip has an internal battery for the clock. Those Dallas chips seem to run
forever. I'd wonder if anyone has opened one up to see if it is feasible to
replace the internal battery?

In the mid 1990's Sun SPARC workstations were all dying because the batteries in these chips failed. When they did the ethernet stopped working, and since a 5 year old UNIX system with no ethernet is basically a door stop, they became give away items.

There was a site with a web page documenting these chips and how to replace the battery. The top of them was potted with a brittle compound and could easily be chipped away from the battery with a pair of diagonal cutting pliers, a hammer, or any other number of similar and more precision tools.

They are not fussy about batteries, having no source of lithium batteries with tabs, I replaced several with 3 or 4 AA batteries in a flat plastic holder. Others I just soldered wires to available lithium batteries.

 http://www.squirrel.com/sun-nvram-hostid.faq.html#attach

Geoff.

--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson,  N3OWJ/4X1GM/KBUH7245/KBUW5379
"Owning a smartphone: Technology's equivalent to learning to play